Landrake with St Erney
Landrake with St. Erney parish · Cornwall
1 do 1 places
Village profile
Overview
Landrake with St Erney is a civil parish in southeast Cornwall, located approximately three miles west of Saltash. The parish has two distinct geographical parts: the southern part, largely St Erney, is bounded by tidal rivers on both east and west, while the northern part is hilly and more accessible. The area is primarily agricultural, with narrow Cornish lanes linking dispersed farms and hamlets. The parish church in Landrake is visible for miles around, and the area retains a quiet, rural character.
History: The earliest known written record of this parish comes from a 1018 charter when King Cnut confirmed the gift of land in Landrake and St Erney to Bishop Burwhold. The parish name appears in medieval records as Landerh-tun, with the church dedicated to St Michael. The two parishes have been associated for at least 1,000 years, sharing a priest and often recording events in the same registers. The economy was historically agricultural, with cider and beer made locally. In 1840, Landrake had 135 acres of orchards and gardens, and it is believed that some illicit spirits, known as "Landrake Dew" or "Farmers' Gin," were produced from cider. The village had two inns in the 19th century, and around the village square there were a number of shops and craftsmen. The area remained rural through the 20th century, with the A38 trunk road bisecting the parish. Today, many farms provide tourist accommodation, and the parish functions as a mix of agriculture and residential commuter housing.
Directory
Places around Landrake with St Erney
Eats, stays, and things to do in this village — from cornish.co.uk.
Saltash Territory
Nearby villages
Other village areas under the same main town — each with its own listings and village page.